I landed on the wrong planet

The bell chimed as he walked in for the second time. "Hey! It's been a while," said the man at the bar. "I need a drink," said he as he shook his head, trying to dispel the uncomfortable truth repeatedly spanking him sensuously. And that is how we find our hero, sipping something muddy on another planet.

Name:
Location: Yaadhum Oore. Yaavarum Kelir

I am a bad imitation of don Quixote.

Friday, December 09, 2005

A different world

Ah...Chennai!

I swear I never expected to talk about Chennai's weather with a contented sigh, except probably on the return journey when I usually am glad to leave the place. But right now, it's 'Ahhhhh...Chennai!'

Before you read this, let me tell you I am not an insensitive lout. I know people have lost lives and livelihoods, that their loved ones are seperated, their beloved possessions all gobbled up by the rushing waters, rich and famous suddenly finding themselves in deep waters (literally).....all of it is making me feel more than sorry for these people. They have already gone through hell last year and now, this. There is something personal between the Chennaiites and the water.

That said, it is heavenly when you look down from the seventh floor of Alsa towers. The city wears a new coat these days. A coat of shimmering gray that softens the hard edges. Through the dull fog, the whole place looks surreal. Rain doesn't fall anymore. It drifts down gently and lands lightly on your fingertips, tentatively cooling a very small area the size of a needle prick. You rub your hands more often now in Chennai. And blow hot air at them. The breeze is what it ought to be in the beginning of December. Chilly with the memory of a night time in the Bay of Bengal. I never thought I would live to see this day. The only thing that needs to complete this vision of ethereal beauty is a canoe and some gentle stringing from the banks.

For those of you who still think I am an insensitive lout, I suggest you read, 'On running after one's hat' by G.K. Chesterton. Very illuminating.

I am staying for the next seven days. I may have to change my mind about the rains but right now, I haven't gotten out of the Ahhhh......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home