I landed on the wrong planet

The bell chimed as he walked in for the second time. "Hey! It's been a while," said the man at the bar. "I need a drink," said he as he shook his head, trying to dispel the uncomfortable truth repeatedly spanking him sensuously. And that is how we find our hero, sipping something muddy on another planet.

Name:
Location: Yaadhum Oore. Yaavarum Kelir

I am a bad imitation of don Quixote.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mogathai Kondruvidu

Kill the lust, or stop my breath
Smite the body, or banish the thoughts.
Discipline the senses, or demolish the flesh
You that does everything in all the worlds.

Destroy the bonds, or remove the burden of life
Cleanse my thoughts, or make me a corpse.
Oh, why do I have to depend on these mere mortals?
You that is the life force inside everything.

Will my heart not calm down? Will this deceptive body not leave me?
O Mother! Will the tears of devotion not flow?
In the flood that is your love, will this dog's thirst not quench?
You that is too precious to be uttered - the Omnipresent.

A crude crude translation of my favorite song of Bharathiyar - Mogathai Kondruvidu (Mahaasakthikku Vinnappam). To put this here in this toned down form is almost an insult to the great man - but I just wanted this to be here.

11 Comments:

Blogger Harishankar said...

Such a wonderful translation. Recently ha dthe chance to listen to this song, and while doing some search landed on your page. Marvelous work in the translation. Kudos

Hari

4:39 PM  
Blogger Raman V.R said...

என்ன அருமையான மொழிபெயர்ப்பு ...! என் உள்ளங்கனிந்த நன்றிகள் !

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Sandhya said...

Really nice translation !

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Landed on this page today while searching for "Mogathai Kondruvidu". Whoever you are, I am not sure. But I am totally in love with the intriguing way your brain works. Drop me a note if you think its worthwhile! bhaarathee@yahoo.com

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome translation !

From
Bharathiyai virumbum oru kannamma

7:07 AM  
Blogger Abi. S said...

Dont worry Its not a an insult. Its giving way to people those who dont know to read tamil to learn and feel such a great poet' s writing.
Great Job!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fan of the great poet Bharatiyar. He poems are absolutely intriguing and I find your translations appropriate.How I wish all races recognise the works of our Indians poets.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a Romantic Song of Bharathi to Kannamma or a inspirational song for being a good human. Please someone explain.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Swaminathan said...

It is not an insult... It is a homage... Very beautiful translation... Thank you.

9:26 PM  
Blogger SM said...

Superb translation

6:30 PM  
Blogger Swetha said...

Beautiful translation.. thank you 😊🙏

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home